Baltimore Animal Rescue & Care Shelter

BARCS is a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization operating Maryland’s largest animal shelter and pet adoption center. We are an open admission shelter, granting refuge to every abandoned, neglected, abused, lost or surrendered animal that comes through our door. A staggering 30 or more animals are surrendered to BARCS every day. No matter what the circumstance, we do not turn away any animal in need of shelter, food, medical care and a loving touch. Yearly, this equates to more than 12,000 dogs, cats, kittens, puppies, and even wildlife and exotic animals that need care and placement.

When you step into our bustling adoption lobby, it's hard to imagine that only a decade ago, most animals that entered the sheltering services of Baltimore City lost their lives. Prior to BARCS, and under the direction of a municipal program, only 2% of the animals were spared, while the other 98% were euthanized without a hope of finding a family. Today, BARCS is saving more than 90% of the animals brought to our shelter–a number that positively increases each and every year since our inception. Your support through adoption, donations and volunteering is critical to our success.

Each year, BARCS is growing, evolving and working to implement new innovative programs that benefit animals in need and the neighborhoods that support them!

Copyright © 2020 Best in Shelter. All rights reserved. Privacy policy | Official contest rules | Development: MV    H8